- Bragdon, C. et al. Clinical Multicenter Studies of the Wear Performance of Highly Crosslinked Remelted Polyethylene in THA. Clin Orthop Relat Res (2013) 471:393-402.
- Mimnaugh,K. et al. 100 Million-Cycle Wear Evaluation of Crosslinked Vitamin E Grafted Polyethylene (VE-HXPE) Acetabular Liners.Paper No. 0403. ORS 2016 Annual Meeting.
- Oral, E. et, al. Crosslinked Vitamin E Blended UHMWPE with Improved Grafting and Wear Resistance. Poster No. 1181. ORS 2011 Meeting.
- Oral, E. et, al. Trace amounts of grafted vitamin E protect UHMWPE against squalene-initiated oxidation. Poster No. 1295. ORS 2011 Meeting
- Rowell, S. et, al. Detection of Vitamin E in Irradiated UHMWPE by UV-Visible Spectroscopy. Poster No. 1186. ORS 2011 Meeting.
- Wolf, C. et, al. Radiation Grafting of Vitamin E to Ultra High Molecular Weight Polyethylene. Poster No. 1178. ORS 2011 Meeting.
- Pletcher, D. et al. Vitamin E Grafted HXPE Shows Superior Mechanical Property Retention Compared to Conventional UHMWPE and Sequentially Annealed HXP. Poster No. 1868, ORS 2014 Meeting.
- Zimmer ZRR _WA_2512_12
- Zimmer ZRR_WA_2401_11, Rev. 2.
- Zimmer TM1140.98
Meeting the long-term performance needs of high demand patients
Zimmer Biomet developed Vivacit-E Vitamin E Highly Crosslinked Polyethylene with antioxidant protection to meet the long-term performance needs of high-demand patients.
Exceptional Oxidative Stability
- It’s widely accepted that oxidation is a primary aging mechanism of polyethylene, which can lead to osteolysis and implant failure. The oxidative stability of Vivacit-E HXPE is the result of a proprietary process that grafts (locks) vitamin E directly to the polyethylene chain.3-6 The vitamin E continuously stabilizes the material to prevent oxidative degradation of the polyethylene. When subjected to accelerated aging for 33 weeks (16 times the industry standard), Vivacit-E HXPE showed no signs of oxidation or significant decline in mechanical properties.7
- In tests on 2 week-aged 40 mm articulation size Vivacit-E liners and Longevity liners, Vivacit-E liners showed ultra-low wear rates comparable to Longevity liners.8
- Antioxidant protection eliminates the need to remelt the polyethylene, leading to an improvement in strength in comparison to highly crosslinked polyethylene.9
- The vitamin E in Vivacit-E HXPE prevents oxidation, resulting in mechanical strength that is retained after accelerated aging for more than 16 times the 2-week industry standard test according to ASTM F2003.7,9,10
Builds on the legacy of Longevity® Highly Crosslinked Polyethylene with more than 13 years of clinical success.1
A Lifetime of Wear Resistance
Wear Reduction Over Conventional Polyethylene at 100 Million Cycles2
Oxidation or Significant Decline in Mechanical Properties
When subjected to accelerated aging for 33 weeks7
Vivacit-E® Highly Cross-linked Polyethylene (HXLPE) Brochure
Vivacit-E HXLPE is specifically designed to maximize performance through a proprietary process providing exceptional oxidativestability, ultra-low wear, and improved mechanical strength, from a manufacturer with a trusted clinical heritage
1800 West Center Street
Warsaw, Indiana 46580 USA