When You Need to Know Now
The first of its kind, the Synovasure Alpha Defensin Lateral Flow Test is specifically designed as an aid for the diagnosis of periprosthetic joint infection (PJI). The test delivers same-day results with speed and accuracy.1
- Infection Diagnostics
- Revision Knee
- Revision Hip
Periprosthetic Joint Infection (PJI) is one of the most common complications following total joint arthroplasty.2 The Synovasure Alpha Defensin Lateral Flow Test offers a rapid and accurate positive/negative result (10 minutes) to aid in the diagnosis of PJI.
vs. standard of care criteria1
vs. standard of care criteria1*
* Excluding samples with >20% blood
The Synovasure Alpha Defensin Lateral Flow Test is a standalone, rapid device for detecting alpha defensin in synovial fluid.
Results in 10 minutes following performance of the test
Performance Backed by Data
Demonstrates a high sensitivity (94.3%) and specificity (94.5%). In addition, results proven in clinical studies to be unaffected by:
- Prior antibiotic administration1,3,4
- Comorbidities related to inflammation1,3,5
- Type and/or virulence of the organism1,3,6
Minimal Fluid Requirement
Only needs 15 microliters of synovial fluid to perform the test
Consistent results to Laboratory Test
No statistically significant difference in the performance of Synovasure Alpha Defensin Lateral Flow Test and Synovasure Alpha Defensin ELISA laboratory .1
Synovasure Alpha Defensin Lateral Flow Test Brochure
Description of the value of the Synovasure Alpha Defensin Lateral Flow Test
Synvosure Alpha Defensin Lateral Flow Test
What is Alpha Defensin
Synovasure Alpha Defensin Control Kit – How to Use
Synovasure Diagnostics Product Offerings
- Deirmengian, C., et al. Validation of the Alpha Defensin Lateral Flow Test for Periprosthetic Joint Infection. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. Nov 5, 2020. DOIi: 10.2106/JBJS.20.00749.
- Deirmengian C, et al. Diagnosing Periprosthetic Joint Infection: Has the Era of the Biomarker Arrived? Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research. Nov;472(11):3254-62, 2014.
- Deirmengian C, et al. Combined Measurement of Synovial Fluid a-Defensin and C-reactive Protein Levels: Highly Accurate for Diagnosing Periprosthetic Joint Infection. Journal of Joint and Bone Surgery Am. Sep 3;96(17):1439-45, 2014.
- Shahi A, et al. The alpha-defensin Test for Periprosthetic Joint Infections is Not Affected by Prior Antibiotic Administration. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research. Jul;474(7):1610-5, 2016.
- Miyamae Y., et al. Diagnostic Accuracy of the Alpha-Defensin Test for Periprosthetic Joint Infection in Patients with Inflammatory Diseases. Journal of Arthroplasty. 34(8):1767- 1771, 2019.
- Deirmengian C, et al. The C-reactive Protein May Not Detect Infections Caused by Less-Virulent Organisms. Journal of Arthroplasty. 31:152-155, 2016.